Search This Blog
In the world's archive, this is, but a small book filled with thoughts.
Featured
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Wishing You Eternal Happiness WYEH - 69
Chapter - 69
By Tea Time Translations
Hello everyone! I hope everyone's doing well! If there are any mistakes in translation, please feel free to comment! Please support for faster updates @TeaTime.
The desolate garden lay under cold snow, the sky and earth sealed tight. The emperor stood in the middle of the snowy ground, hands behind his back, his expression stiff and solemn.
Pei You’an knelt once more before the man ahead, kowtowing deeply: “Your Majesty, what orders do you have?”
Xiao Lie seemed to come back to himself.
“Follow me,” he said, turning and stepping into the snow, pushing open the door to enter.
Pei You’an watched the figure in front of him, rose from the ground, and followed him inside, closing the door behind.
Inside, the doors and windows were tightly shut, the light dim, the air unusually cold and carrying a faint musty scent.
Pei You’an stood by the door, watching the emperor slowly walk to a narrow table, raise his hand, and run his fingers over several objects, as if lost in some deep thought.
He no longer spoke, only quietly watched.
“You, You’an, have been handling affairs for me outside for some time. Since your return to the capital, you have also suffered bereavement. There is one matter you probably do not yet know.”
The emperor finally spoke, his tone indifferent: “I have decided to take princesses from Goryeo and Annam into the palace, and as advised by the Ministry of Rites, in early spring to select more maidens to fill the harem.”
Goryeo and Annam had sent royal daughters along with their envoys, expressing their wish to marry into the great Wei Empire’s emperor. Other envoy groups also offered beauties in varying numbers. The Ministry of Rites submitted a petition stating that His Majesty’s harem currently only has the empress; the times have changed, and according to ritual, the harem should be filled to support the emperor.
“The Book of Rites says that the Son of Heaven should establish six palaces. This concerns the dignity of the state. Your Majesty is wise beyond measure,” Pei You’an said respectfully.
The emperor fell silent for a moment, then said, “Li Yuangui just now actually hid something for me. Since we met here by chance, it must be fate, and I might as well tell you. Tonight I came here only to pay respects to your aunt, but I did not expect to encounter you and your wife.”
He paced slowly to the window, turning his back to Pei You’an, standing there for a moment.
“I and your aunt were childhood sweethearts. Alas, fate was cruel. We were forced to marry others. She was of noble character but ill-fated, dying young here…”
“Youan, if I told you that your aunt’s tragic death years ago was entirely because of me, that it was my fault, would you hate me?”
The emperor’s emotion suddenly seemed difficult to control; his voice trembled slightly as he abruptly turned around.
Pei You’an froze for a moment but soon seemed to regain himself, hesitating before cautiously replying, “Your Majesty’s words are too heavy. Even if it is as you say, I believe it was unintentional. My aunt’s spirit is surely watching from heaven; if she can forgive past matters, how dare I speak of right or wrong?”
The emperor stared at Pei You’an for a long time. His emotions finally seemed to settle, and he nodded, speaking again with a much calmer voice.
“Tonight, at this moment, I regard you as kin, not merely as subject and sovereign, so I have spoken of these old matters. To be frank, because of your aunt’s death, these years I have felt a constant prick in my heart, one that even in death I cannot forgive myself for. Your kind words bring me some comfort. Regarding the Jing-Xiang matter, you ended the conflict and brought benevolence; your insight was extraordinary, and you handled everything excellently, stabilizing the realm for me. Now that the old madam has passed, I know your grief must be immense. These years you have rushed around for me without a moment’s rest. I will send the person you recommended from the court to serve as county magistrate to pacify the people in your stead. You should rest and take care of yourself well. After some time, depending on circumstances, I may call on you again- how does that sound?”
Pei You’an respectfully replied, “I will obey Your Majesty’s orders.”
The emperor continued, “Youan, remember this: no matter what troubles you face in the future, do not hide them from me. Speak freely. If I can help, I will without hesitation.”
Pei You’an thanked him again.
The emperor’s gaze lingered softly on him in the dim snowlight. After a moment of silence, he said, “Enough for tonight. The cold is biting. Take your wife back and rest early…”
At that moment, faintly from outside came a low shout: “Who’s there?” The voice seemed to be Li Yuangui’s.
“Your Majesty stays here; I will go check!”
Pei You’an opened the door and dashed outside, seeing under the moonlight a black shadow dashing through the snow like a night owl.
Li Yuangui had drawn the waist knife he carried, protecting Jiafu, and quickly gave a sharp whistle, urgently calling the guards left outside the mountain gate to come assist. Turning, he saw Pei You’an already running out, pointing to a large tree several dozen steps away: “Pei Lord! The assassin was just hiding in that tree!”
The guards quickly arrived. Pei You’an ordered them to escort Jiafu inside for safety, then drew his sword and followed the two tracks left in the snow, hastening in pursuit.
For further chapters, please buy me a Ko Fi!
Popular Posts
Wishing You Eternal Happiness WYEH - 77
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Wishing You Eternal Happiness WYEH - 28
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment
We appreciate your comments! However please keep them user-friendly. Thank you!